Explanation of 2019-2020 Winter Storm Names

started by AndyMoserWX, October 3, 2019
4 replies to this discussion

I am jovial to announce that The Weather Channel officially unveiled the list of the 2019–2020 #winterstormnames this morning.  It is time that I explain each name that we have this season.  @stephanieabrams, @liana-brackett, @haleybrennan, @kcass, @dewpointdiva, @alexwilson, and fellow WX geeks, are you ready?  Here they come.

• Aubrey: Norman French form of the Germanic name Alberich, meaning “elf power”
    • Bessie: English diminutive of Elizabeth, meaning “my God is an oath”
    • Caleb: relates to the Hebrew word kelev, meaning “dog”
    • Dorothy: English form of the Late Greek name Dorothea, meaning “gift of God“; name of the central character in the novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900)
    • Ezekiel: Hebrew name meaning “God will strengthen”
    • Finley: Irish anglicized form of Fionnlagh, meaning “white warrior”
    • Gage: Old French surname meaning “measure” or “pledge”
    • Henry: derives from the Germanic name Heimirich, meaning “home ruler”; also honors HRH Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex
    • Isaiah: Hebrew name meaning “Yahweh is salvation”
    • Jacob: from the Latin name Iacobus, meaning “holder of the heel” or “supplanter”
    • Kade: variant of the Old English surname Cade, meaning “round”
    • Lamont: Scottish surname meaning “law man”
    • Mabel: Medieval Latin form of Amabilis, meaning “lovable”
    • Nash: derives from the Middle English phrase atten ash, meaning “at the ash tree”
    • Odell: derives from the Old English surnames wad (a plant that produces a blue dye) and hyll, meaning “died blue hill”
    • Pearl: English word for the concretions formed in the shells of some mollusks; also, the birthstone for June that imparts both health and wealth
    • Quincy: originally from various places in Normandy, France, that derived from the name Quintus, meaning “fifth” in Latin
    • Ruth: ancient Hebrew name meaning “friend”
    • Sadie: Middle English diminutive of the Hebrew name Sarah, meaning “lady”, “princess”, or “noblewoman”
    • Thatcher: English occupational surname meaning “roof maker”
    • Upton: Egyptian name meaning “high village”
    • Veronica: Latin alternation of Berenice, meaning “bringing victory”; her ecclesiastical spelling influenced the Latin phrase vera icon, meaning “true image”
    • Waldron: German name meaning “mighty raven”
    • Xandra: Dutch variant of the Greek name Alexandra, meaning “defender of women”
    • Yates: Old English surname meaning “gate”
    • Zachariah: Biblical variant of the ancient Hebrew name Zechariah, meaning “Yahweh remembers”; one of the characters in the Old Testament

Please that since we used Wyatt in 2016–2017, I replace him with Waldron; this way, we avoid repeating past names.  I am excited to name winter storms again!  #happywxgeek 😄  I look forward to our eighth season of naming winter storms; thus, bring on winter!  #wintercoming ⛄❄

Thank you for posting the list and the name meanings.  Nicely done.

Where’s my name?

@donaldtrump, your name does not appear as a winter storm name per you are still the president of the United States.  Your creative word #covfefe could appear sooner than you think.  Capiche? 🙂

Reply to Explanation of 2019-2020 Winter Storm Names

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?