Did The Weather Channel Get A New Look?

started by MedianEgg804310, August 20, 2019
23 replies to this discussion
  • Woke up this morning to find a whole new look on The Weather Channel. While stuff like the logo doesn’t change or AMHQ’S logo. Local on the 8s is looking very strange with this new font and the bottom bar has been cut in half and the old sidebar is completely gone. I’m still wondering where this came from and I did see The Weather Channel’s tweet about the Outage on Predictions that could have something to do with it. Other than that it just kinda came out of nowhere and is the old style going to come back or is this the new style? Again since there is no sidebar now, where is information about hurricanes and stuff like that! The Local Radar is gone and is only on the now very weird Local on the 8s because of the new font and what will happen to red mode! Despite this, I want to learn more about this new look as it changes alot of things. (including when there is an alert you can’t see your local weather info…)

I saw the same thing this morning. The sidebar looked like this right?

I consider it an improvement. It’s not the Local on the 8’s channel, especially considering it’s been reduced to twice an hour.

• Verified Member

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, there is a new look on The Weather Channel as of this morning. We’re constantly looking for better ways to showcase the weather and by reorganizing our screen, we’re able to display larger videos which means larger graphics, more immersive video and a better overall experience for our viewers!

The changes are nice, I do like the new bar at the bottom and the new graphics on screen are also great. Might be harder to read for those on standard definition though.

Oh yeah and as kvanbe1 said, it’s The Weather Channel again! not Local on the 8s channel :p 

But Haley, where is the local radar? I keep The Weather Channel on to watch the radar. I want to see where those pop-up thunderstorms are & which way they’re moving. Does this mean I can only see the radar 2x an hour? That just doesn’t seem right, for a channel about the weather.

• Verified Member

Hi @2lookingup! In order to allow more room for severe weather coverage and the new layout, we had to reduce the space for other information, including the local radar. All the national and local currents, forecasts and alerts that we are known for will still be at the bottom of the screen, and the local radar will continue to air during Local on the 8’s.

Will the fullscreen Local on the 8’s return more often now that the changes are in place or will it continue to be only shown twice? Seems like it should be coming back more often now that the local radar isn’t shown all the time

Sigh. So sad.

• Love the new look to the weather channel! The only change that I would like to see is if the banner on the bottom is made a little bigger, it’s hard to read…especially from across the room.

Overall this new change on the weather channel is not too bad but missing a few things.  I am happy with the traffic reports gone and no big sidebar along the enitre screen.   I like the font and the appearance is nice but the scroll bar on the bottom with the local weather needs to be bigger/taller as it is really too small and hard to read unless you are right in front of the tv. Please make it bigger or I will have to charge you for wrinkle removal that i will get trying to read the tiny scroll 🙂

Also can we please add the dewpoints to the scroll at the bottom?  Dewpoints are very important for those of us who work outdoors everyday, have animals and livestock to consider and for people with health issues. For years we have asked for dewpoints on the scroll and every time a change is made they are never added.
      I do miss the radar because every half hour isn’t enough. A storm can pop up and be gone in that time. A suggestion is to either put the local on the 8’s back on more frequently or add the radar in a small box in the bottom right hand corner at the end of the scroll because the info on the scroll doesn’t go across the entire screen anyway so you aren’t using that area and it could have the radar everyone wants.
      I hope the weather channel considers our opinions (as I see a lot of us have similar comments) and makes a few adjustments to the new look.

• Verified Member

@triplectwc Local on the 8’s will remain playing twice an hour (the :18 mark and the :48 mark) for now!

@13snowflakes Thanks for giving us your feedback! Glad to hear you like it for the most part but we’ll pass along your thoughts about the size of the scroll bar/dew points to our design team!

Please pass along that we miss the radar, too!

This is way too difficult to read on the standard definition feed when the cable company chooses to letterbox it. The older look, though also a bit difficult to read, was actually an improvement in that sense

Also on an unrelated note to my first post, the new font with the original graphics doesn’t look right and I’ve been hearing a lot of criticism about it this morning

Local on the 8s definitely looks off with that new font. I don’t know what it is, but it’s just off.

• Verified Member

Yes, the font change transferred over to Local on the 8’s as well. There’s definitely a difference, but we hope it’ll grow on you!

I don’t mind the new graphics package, I think I like the new flipper at the bottom of screen, tighter graphic/map legends, etc; but I don’t love the re-allotment of screen space…specifically, I miss the local radar box that was always on-screen, which was also used during hurricanes and snowstorms to deliver additional information (as noted above). The primary video object might be more “immersive” but there are now quantitatively fewer pieces of information being delivered onscreen at any given moment in time, which is unfortunate.

(However, I’ve noticed the lower-third banner captions aren’t full-screen width…so I hope there are plans to resurrect those boxes for radar/maps/information when there is significant weather.)

Love the new look!!!

@haleybrennan, I totally enjoy the new look that made its debut on The Weather Channel this morning!  The font is more meticulous and easier to read than the old font was.  The graphics, pictures, and videos are crystal clear and easy to visualize.  The TWC improvements are fabulous.  The overall experience deserves a five-star rating in my book.  #waytogo #muchbetterquality 😀

I overall like the look. I really love that the weather crawl at the bottom of the screen is the same crawl used on live programming and during the reality programming. I always hated how the weather information was limited or non-existent at the bottom of the screen during the reality programming. I’m glad that this got addressed this redesign. My only critique to the HD crawl is to make it a little bigger (or just like the SD crawl). I saw people online mentioning that it’s small from a distance. I agree on that part. I had friends telling me too that the HD crawl was too small. That doesn’t help when providers like Comcast letterbox the HD channel in their SD spot. This would be something to address with those providers that letterbox the HD channel on their SD spots.

As for radar, yeah it stinks that we don’t see it as frequently as we’re used too, but every 20 minutes isn’t that bad. It gets the job done by showing us something is coming and allowing us to act, especially if there is an advisory. TWC is still good at running those.

On a funny and random note, the HD crawl almost reminds me of a school closing crawl, or a weather alert crawl that a local channel would show, or even a sports crawl in a way with the formatting.

I hope TWC takes my feedback into consideration. Overall it’s good, but the HD crawl is really the only feedback I have.

They don’t care what we think. Period. You think that ANYONE from the Weather Channel even reads these posts ?

Some numbskull in a suit, sitting in an office, with no grasp on public needs, just sits there and makes great decisions like, ‘Okay, let’s get rid of the local radar now, and make the fonts even smaller’. Great job, Bob ! Great job ! Wonderful idea, Bob ! Boy, you look good in that suit too ! Love your tie !

You want weather coverage that is exactly equal to what the Weather Channel does now ? Simply stick your head out of your window and look up and around. Now you are the Weather Channel.

Excellent work on the new design. But I stopped watching TWC due to the insufficient amount of Local on the 8s forecasts. Thanks for removing the LOT8s logo though!

Reply to Did The Weather Channel Get A New Look?

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?